As promised earlier this week, I am ready to share one of the big projects I undertook for the new house.
I love a good sideboard. I do not love the price tag that typically accompanies them. So I decided I could work my DIY magic and try making my own.
I used these two as inspiration for the overall silhouette.
Aren't they gorgeous?
I knew the easiest way to pull this off would be to use a pre-made, unfinished wall cabinet. I chose a wall cabinet because they have no toe-kicks like base cabs do. I would be building a pedestal of sorts to set my cabinet into and a toe-kick wouldn't look good and a base cab would be too tall.
I picked this one up from the Home Depot during one of their 20% in-stock cabinet sales and got a decent deal on it. The dimensions are 54" wide x 24" tall x 12" deep.
The goal was to build a type of 'waterfall' surround all the way around the cabinet that it could set in. To achieve this I bought a piece of 4' x 8' birch hardwood plywood. This would be big enough and then some for the surround.
Here's my quick sketch with my measurements and design. It's a little hard to see, but basically, since the plywood was 3/4" thick, the finished size would be 35 3/4" tall x 13" deep x 55 1/2" wide. I made it 13" deep so that the doors would look as though they are set within the surround rather than hanging out.
I began by cutting two 10" x 13" pieces and two 35" x 13" pieces. These would be the sides.
Using my air nailer I attached the 10" tall pieces flush with the bottoms of the 35" pieces. These smaller pieces will act as supports for the bottom board that is to go under the cabinet.
I then cut the bottom board piece 54" x 13" and attached it the side pieces.
I initially attached everything with the air nailer and then went back and added wood screws for extra security.
*I attached all nails and screws from the inside so they would not be visible.
Then I cut out the top piece 55 1/2" x 13".
After all of the pieces had been cut and before the entire sideboard was assembled I painted the cabinet doors and the frame.
I applied three coats to get the look I was after. I used Behr Ultra in satin finish in a color I had custom matched to some fabric.
After the paint had dried I put the cabinet (without the doors) into the surround I had built and attached the top.
I screwed through the sides of the cabinet and into the plywood so as not to have visible screws on the sides. To attach the top I used the air nailer again. The brad heads are quite small and after it was stained, were not very noticeable.
I sanded down the raw edges of the boards, but didn't bother with the top and sides as they weren't rough, but were actually pretty smooth.
I didn't bother taking pics of the staining process, but I applied two coats of stain in 'Jacobean' and three coats of polyurethane to the tops and sides.
And here is my completed sideboard!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way it turned out! I am going to add some brass pull rings eventually and style it appropriately (I'm thinking this will double as storage / sideboard / bar area). I actually ordered some great brass lion head pulls and thought I was getting an amazing deal (less than $2 each), but it turns out they were only an inch and a half big. Talk about a fail :(
In all I spent under $200 on wood, paint, a cabinet, and polyurethane. I had all of the tools needed...saw, sander, stain, air nailer.